…the title of this post may be completely misleading.
Inspired by Kaz’s awesome post on zir gender/sexuality, I set out to draw my own map of what my asexuality “looks” like.
Except it kind of turned into not a map at all, but this:
Sorry for the terrible quality; I don’t have a scanner and took this in photobooth.
[image: a line drawing of a ship with two masts and lots of sails. The ship has lots of portholes, five hatches for cannons, and a lantern hanging over the stern window. Four colorful pennants fly from the mast, labeled “Intellectual Attraction,” “Kinetic Attraction,” “Physical Attraction,” and “Aesthetic Attraction.” A stick figure striking a heroic pose stands in the prow of the ship. The ship itself is labeled “Asexual!” On the horizon to the right are the silhouettes of several ships, all flying their own pennants, collectively labeled “Folks to wave at.” In the background to the left are three more ships and one rowboat sailing in the same direction as the main ship, collectively labeled “Folks who are sailing with me right now.” Over the whole scene is a large yellow sun labeled “Awesome.” End description.]
So! This is not meant to be a universally applicable model of sexual orientation, but rather how I conceptualize my own. The ship is labeled “Asexual” both because that’s my sexual orientation and because “asexual” is the tool I use to interact with the world. Most of my self-exploration and introspection is done using the lens of my asexuality, so it made sense for that to be the name of my main vessel. This emphasis on exploration rather than locating myself in a particular framework is also why I chose a ship rather than a map.
The pennants are the finer tools I use to explore my own sexuality and relationships with others. I drew the four main types of attraction I experience because they were what I could remember at 10 pm, but the point of pennants is that you can add more as they become important or take away those that are irrelevant. I don’t think I was ever issued a “romantic attraction” pennant; it’s certainly not listed in the ship’s manifest.
My ship has cannons because if you attack my identity I will fuck you up, but it also has a light because I’m friendly and want to talk to respectful people.
On the horizon are other people in their ships. I bet they’re really nice people, but we just don’t have a lot in common or aren’t looking for the same things right now. They have their own ships and their own pennants and that’s fantastic, so we’ll wave at each other as we pass, but we’re just not going in the same direction.
Closer to me are people I have more in common with. Maybe we’ve been sailing together for a long time, maybe we’re just coincidentally going in the same direction, or maybe we just met and really like hanging out, but all of these people are a little more like me in terms of goals and outlooks and identities. We probably fly some of the same pennants. We’ll sail together for a while, or for the rest of our lives, or just until tomorrow, and all of those options are rad.
Of course, some people don’t have boats. Or they have found an island they really like, and live there, and only take their boat out occassionally if at all. Maybe they live in a houseboat, or just swim whereever they want to go. One of my friends declared that she would probably ride a sea monster. All of this is totally awesome.
So, yeah. Thus: my sexual orientation. It’s mostly a boat.
I love tumblr. I really do. It’s my go-to source for awesome stuff, and I’ve learned more in the time I’ve been using it than I did in all of high school.
But CHRIST ON A FUCKING BICYCLE, THERE IS A SPOILER ISSUE.
Seriously, people. Above and beyond tagging your shit, do you think we could maybe have some kind of WAITING PERIOD before we start posting gif and photosets of season-end spoilers? Like, could we maybe wait more than five fucking minutes after a show has ended before posting ALL THE THINGS? Or even - let’s go crazy! - more than a couple of weeks, on account of how we don’t all live in the same country and aren’t watching everything right at the same minute? And if you can’t wait, then can you put that stuff behind a big cut marked SPOILERS with the name of the film/show in question right at the top so that scrolling through my dash doesn’t mean watching the most crucial, surprising plot-reveals from EVERY SINGLE SHOW AND MOVIE ON MY WATCHLIST BEFORE I’VE ACTUALLY SEEN IT.
I mean, if the show/film/whatever is a few years old, that’s fine! There’s a statue of limitations on this shit. But I’ve seen gifsets go up on tumblr while an episode is still in the process of airing, or on the same day a major film is released, and it’s ragemaking, because all the important bits have already been ruined.
So, yeah. STOP WITH THE SPOILERING. IT IS REALLY NOT THAT HARD.
SO MUCH. Also if you could put the full name of the programme instead of the fandom shorthand (supernatural instead of spn, for example) that’d be great.
[Image description: Katie McGrath as genderbent Loki. End image description.]
SOMEONE MAKE THIS A THING IMMEDIATELY.
STFU Moffat: ancientavian: hidden-agender: sauntering-vaguely-downwards:... -
[AGGRESSIVELY DOESN’T WANT TO KNOW THE DOCTOR’S NAME]
It’s not even that I don’t want to know it
It’s that I don’t think Steven Moffat has the right to name him
oh my god yes
that statement is why I’m so angry
Why can’t he just be named The Doctor? That’s as much a name as anything else.
(also I like to think his name is Rumpelstiltskin.)
First of all, “the Doctor” is what he wants to be called, ergo it is his name
Second of all, out of every writer who has ever worked on the show, why should Moffat be the one who gets to make this decision (on the other hand, Moffat has made every effort possible to prove that the show is His Now, so I really wouldn’t put it past him)
Third of all, what does that say if Moffat decides that a “legal” “birth” name which is recorded only in the archives of a planet that no longer exists, a “name” which hasn’t been used in centuries, is more “real” than the name an individual actually is and wants to be called by
what does that say to trans* folks
what does that say to people who’ve changes their names for other reasons
what does that say to anyone who, for whatever reason, has changed their name, or prefers to go by a name other than what is on their government papers, or uses different names in different contexts
I just… wow Moffat you’re a terrible person
…I didn’t even realize half of the things I typed…that I was feeling like that…
Now I’m crying. Thank you whoever made this.
This helped me vent today
That was incredible.
i don’t know why… but i feel like crying :/ this is such a nice thing. thank you.
this is such a beautiful idea, I love whoever made this.
Whoever made this; Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This is amazing. Just, believe me.
What the hell D:
The stuff I was typing I didn’t even know I felt.
I was using this website this morning and I started crying because I had no idea half the stuff was even on my mind, it was things that I hadn’t told anyone and hadn’t even told myself, and it really, really made me feel so much better.
i think i might be done with my asexuality paper
holy shit that was unexpected
i just need to edit, and i’ll let you know when it’s done if anyone cares to read it!
*waves hands* Pick me! Pick me!
You’re so demi that a pineapple could have my personality and you’d still fancy it. — Tyler. (via probablyhuman)
Romeo and Juliet is not a love story it’s a cautionary tale about how everything would be better if you would just chill the fuck out
‘Everything would be better if you would just chill the fuck out’ - every play ever written by Shakespeare
“Yo, Hamlet. Chill the fuck out about your dad.”
“Yo, King Lear. Chill the fuck out about your daughters.”
“Yo, Othello. Chill the fuck out about your wife.”
“Yo Macbeth, Chill the fuck out about ‘dem witches”
“Yo Benedick and Beatrice, chill the fuck out and get married already”
(Source: punkasfrick, via voicelesspostalveolarfricative)
A rare optic phenomenon, the “Brocken spectre,” which occurs when a person stands at a higher altitude in the mountains and sees his shadow cast on a cloud at a lower altitude, Tatra Mountains,Poland. Via FB
Photo credit: Grzegorz Momot/European Pressphoto Agency
Anyone else think of The Lion King?
Bofur the Bro Dwarf: Helpful Websites To Learn Languages -
- http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/home - I absolutely love this website. It has everything!
- French word of the day: http://www.bitesizedlanguages.com/wod/r/french
- Pronunciations: http://www.forvo.com/languages/fr/
- Podcast: http://www.coffeebreakfrench.com/
- French in Mali: http://wws.peacecorps.gov/wws/multimedia/language/lessons.cfm#french
- Phonetics: http://phonetique.free.fr/index.htm
- Listening activities: http://frenchlingq.com/
- http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0„9572,00.html -You have to register, but it’s a great way to learn German
- Linguistic Map of Italy: http://les-langues-sont-ma-vie.tumblr.com/image/20541832214
- Italian word of the day: http://www.bitesizedlanguages.com/wod/r/italian
- Audio, grammar, idioms, etc: http://www.oneworlditaliano.com/english/home.htm
- Children’s books: http://www.ilnarrastorie.it/favole.famose/
- Newspaper: http://www.repubblica.it/
- Children’s songs and rhymes: http://www.mamalisa.com/?p=824&t=ec&c=120
- Culture: http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/italy-country-profile.html
- Pronunciations: http://www.forvo.com/languages/it/
- Podcast: http://radiolingua.com/shows/italian/one-minute-italian/
- Podcast: http://radiolingua.com/shows/italian/my-daily-phrase-italian/
- http://www.123teachme.com/ - Has games, verb conjugations, text translator, grammar, quizzes, and more!
- Spanish word of the day: http://www.bitesizedlanguages.com/wod/r/spanish
- Games: http://www.quia.com/shared/spanish/
- Newspapers: http://libguides.mit.edu/content.php?pid=146063&sid=1247903
- Phonetics: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/#
- Phonetics/Dialects in Spanish: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/dialects//#
- Pronunciations: http://www.forvo.com/languages/es/
- http://www.chinese-tools.com/learn/chinese - What I love about this site is the pinyin to character tool
- Music: http://www.ethaimusic.com/index.php
- http://animara.com/hanghoul/ - shoot zombies by translating hangul!!
- Newspaper: http://chosun.com/
- http://www.learnjapanese.com/ - Has slang expressions, grammar, common phrases, vocabulary and more
- http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon - Greek to English, English to Greek Dictionary (Modern and Ancient Greek)
ESL (English as a Second Language)
American Sign Language
- Newspapers: http://eo.mondediplo.com/, http://www.liberafolio.org/
- Newspaper: http://www.aftenposten.no/
- Newspaper: http://www.dn.se/
- Newspaper: http://www.vatican.va/archive/aas/index_en.htm
- Pronunciations: http://www.forvo.com/languages/la/
General Language Sites
- http://www.fodors.com/language/ - Has Spanish, French, Italian, German, Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese
- http://www.omniglot.com/ - Has basic phrases in almost any language along with idioms and sayings
- http://www.wordreference.com/ - Any language (French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, etc.) to English dictionary
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/ - Basic phrases and vocab in French, Spanish, Greek, Chinese, German, Italian, and Portuguese.
- http://www.languagehelpers.com/ - Has Chinese, Czech, French, German, Latvian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
- http://www.smartphrase.com/index.shtml -Has Italian, French, German, Spanish, Greek, Dutch, and Portuguese. Random phrase generator
- http://www.101languages.net/vocabulary/vocabulary.html - Has Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, and Spanish
- http://www.livemocha.com/ - A few people have suggested this site, and it’s incredible. If you want to learn a language on your own, you need this. And it’s free!
- http://vinurminn.tumblr.com/post/15596816573/in-linguistics-a-filler-is-a-sound-or-word-that - Fillers in other languages.
- http://www.elanguageschool.net/ - Has Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
- http://www.forvo.com/languages/ - EVERY LANGUAGE STUDENT SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS SITE!! Pronounces words by native speakers in these languages: English, German, French, Russian, Tatar, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Czech, Chinese, Swedish, Japanese, Finnish, Persian, Hungarian, Greek, Dutch, Korean, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Hindi, Wu, Danish, Cantonese, Hebrew, Bashkir, Irish, Esperanto, Galician, Norwegian (bokmål), Indonesian, Serbian, Latin, Interlingua, Lithuanian, Slovak, Icelandic, Croatian, Yiddish, Slovenian, Occitan, Belorussian, Thai, Ancient Greek, Vietnamese, Afrikaans, Lombard, Kurdish, Tagalog, Asturian, Latvian, Welsh, Breton, Basque, Azerbaijani, Tamil, Sanskrit, Sicilian, Bosnian, Armenian, Estonian, Malay, Bengali, Neapolitan, Georgian, Klingon, Min Nan, Scottish Gaelic, Kabardian, Scots, Macedonian, Marathi, Faroese, Chuvash, Lakota, Swiss German, Bavarian, Zazaki, Mongolian and Swahili and many more.
- http://www.internetpolyglot.com/mainMenu.html - Has English, Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Thai, Latin, Hindi, Polish, Tagalog, Swedish, Romanian, Norwegian, Turkish, Finnish, Farsi, Danish, Indonesian, Czech, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Amharic, Swahili, Bulgarian, and Croatian.
- http://www.engoi.com/en/index.html - Has Greek, Czech, Turkish, Romanian, Polish, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and Swedish.
- http://www.babelnation.com/ - Has French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Follow thelanguagecommunity.tumblr.com for even more websites!
Heeey BrOS, if we want to do a language club this might be a useful resource.
Oi, notmechanical. I don’t know how helpful the Korean sites are, but I thought I’d signal boost.
Boosting. Also edited the title for the sign language section, as different countries have different sign languages, and the links given only apply to ASL.
after a while i became convinced that the words were mocking me
I WAS PROMISED A BATTLE
*throws down gauntlet*
Edit: Went back. This is the best thing to happen to my dashboard ever.
Reblogging again because my followers need to see this. To be clear, rebog, go to your actual blog, then click the picture.
THIS IS BEST THING EVER.
I HOPE THIS WORKS
THIS IS FANTASTIC